Friday, March 20, 2009

Caramba Mexican food


5421 W. Glendale Ave., Glendale

I was hungrier Wednesday than the amount of food I had brought for lunch and had seen another location of the small (4 location) Arizona chain the evening before. Turns out the reason I was so hungry was I got so busy working I forgot to eat my mid morning sandwich. Korina, mentioned in the review, actually went there that evening and downgraded her rating to match mine. How about that for coincidence?

My Yelp review:

The previous time I ate here was like 13-14 years ago. I think this was the only location at that time. I had a spinach enchilada and a fish taco. I had already been introduced to 'bertos around the valley. Because they use 8" instead of 10" tortillas for their enchiladas I thought I didn't get enough for my money and they used cilantro, which I do not care for, in their fish taco. I removed this place from my list of lunch spots near work.

The other evening eating at Stir Fry Paradise I noticed quite a few customers at the Caramba next door. So I looked up the reviews for all the locations and didn't see any red flags. And Korina A doesn't care for cilantro either and she made no mention of it in her review. So I tried it out again for lunch. This time eating in instead of sending someone for take out.



I got the combination #4 (see picture), shredded beef taco, cheese enchilada, rice, beans ($6.65) and a small horchata. Total with tax: $8.54.It is still about a dollar more than a 'bertos and the enchiladas are still smaller. But it gets better. The meal comes with a bowl of fresh chips. There is a salsa bar with fresh made salsas instead of inedible hot sauce. They use the next grade up of cheddar cheese. The enchilada sauce is better. The beans and rice are a little better. And I can no longer eat all of a 'bertos combo any more anyway :-) I just barely finished this one.

It was a perfect day for the patio. Being on the North side of the building I can see it getting hot at midday even with the umbrellas during the summer.

It is still a fast food Mexican place but one that is worth a little more. It is now back on my list of places to go.

No comments: