Sunday, March 15, 2009

Papas Gyros


4935 W. Glendale Ave., Glendale

Continuing with my current practice of going out to eat for lunch on Friday I tried a Gyro. Here is a copy of my Yelp review:

I saw this place out of the corner of my eye on the way somewhere else a couple of weeks ago. The reviews were old but positive. I got there early for the lunch crowd and by the time I left almost 1/2 the tables were occupied.

I had a lunch special gyro with fries ($7.99 including soda). Very good. Haven't had a gyro in 15+ plus years so didn't have anything to compare it to. The fries were hot, crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. The two women running the place pleasant and the service was good.

It turns out I became one of those folks who can't be taken anywhere, even by myself. I am paying attention to my gyro and keeping it together not noticing the paper wrapper was acting as a funnel to spray the juices from the meat and vegetables all over the front of me and my lap. By the time I realized what was happening I was covered! :-)

1 comment:

Knitterman said...

I hope you appreciate the skill, dexterity, and years of practice required to properly wrap the gyro for that very effect.

Next time you go there, ask for Souvlaki. We used to get souvlaki pita (inside a bread pocket) all the time in Athens, and sometimes souvlaki kalamaki (souvlaki over rice).
See http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Souvlaki


Very yummy fast food. And very delicious moussaka on the air base, too.