Friday, March 6, 2009

Pho Loc


8115 N 19th Ave., Phoenix

I seem to be doing a lot of Friday lunches out lately. This was my first time here. I hit 3 construction zones on the way over so chose a different route back. Turns out the lines I mentioned in my review are for modifications for the light rail extension which starts this summer so that 4 mile section of 19th will be a mess for about 2 years. For you folks that haven't dealt with sharing the streets with a train, you are not missing a thing.

On to the review:
Went over for lunch today. I was worried that getting there in the middle of the noon hour on a Friday it would be packed. Place was almost empty and everybody that worked there was out on the sidewalk enjoying the weather. Apparently their "lunch" crowd marches to the beat of a different drummer and folks were wandering in the whole time I was there.

I had a bbq pork and rice vermicelli dish preceded by an order of egg rolls. The egg rolls were very good but I thought the lettuce was a bit limp. The vermicelli dish was good, I didn't think all the goodies would already be in the bowl so I accepted the cilantro flavor as I had not thought to mention it beforehand.

I was greeted and seated immediately. After wandering around the menu for a while the waitress came over and answered my questions and took my order. Their specials board is small and on the front wall between two windows. Today was pineapple curry chicken which I might have tried but did not see the inconspicuous board until after my egg rolls had arrived. Most of the people that came in after me seemed to be regulars. I tend to try and follow custom and as the folks that finished before me went up to the register and paid their check which was never delivered but was at the register I did so also. Good thing I carry cash because that is the only thing they accept. The place was clean. My table wobbled a bit.

I will most likely go back. The waitress/hostess/part owner is particularly proud of her Pho and encouraged me to come back so I could try some.

Based on the lines the shopping center is about to undergo some major reshaping that will affect parking. I saw lines marked showing a new sidewalk 10' onto the existing parking lot.

No comments: