Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Chicken cabinet cleaning casserole


Most of the cooking I did this weekend was with the intention of replenishing my supply of frozen leftovers for lunch. While the chicken, noodles and vegetables part of the menu did not vary the sauce certainly did. My intention was to make a thin chicken gravy with white sauce and chicken stock and then firm it up a bit with some eggs. The further through the bottle of wine I got the less I felt like that much effort.

This is what I ended up with:

2 chicken breasts
8oz noodles or pasta cooked to directions
16oz package of frozen veggies
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can cream of celery (or brocolli) soup
garlic, I used ground
Italian seasoning
bread crumbs, optional
Not used, but I wish I had some bacon to crumble in.

Cook chicken in microwave 8-10 minutes, until done. Set aside to cool.
Thaw veggies on counter about an hour. I used mixed but you could use almost anything.
In large mixing bowl combine soups, garlic, seasoning and stir.
Cook pasta. This time I used an old fashioned noodle which is a little thicker and not crinkly.
Cube chicken and add to bowl with pasta and veggies.
Fold into 3 qt baking dish.
Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
Bake in pre heated 325° oven for 45 minutes.

It turned out better than I thought it would, and really did not take much effort. Now I have to replenish my stock of cooking soups, I do not recall using that many in any one month before.

2 comments:

Knitterman said...

actually that sounds pretty good. How does it do as leftovers? I'm guessing you portioned it out into lunch-time sized portions for take-to-work?

SharpScott said...

I have had one serving reheated and it was fine. I have not yet had any of the 4 servings I froze.