Thursday, July 9, 2009

Hash brown casserole


Not sure why I thought this would be weird but when I Googled it I got lots of variations. Most of them were variations on a basic theme. All of them were based on 2lbs (32oz) of frozen hash browns. Well, just like ice cream, hash browns do not come that way any more. All the bags I found were 24-28 oz and I decided that was close enough. The seemed to be little agreement between using 8 or 16 oz of sour cream so I used 12 and that gives me some for something else. I decided to add diced green chiles to mine and found out the Macayos brand is much tastier and a little warmer than the generic brands I usually buy. Overall I think it turned out quite tasty. it made 4 good sized servings. Another thing I did was use a 3 quart fairly tall baking dish rather than the 9x13 all the recipes called out. That allowed me to use the smaller counter top convection oven which throws off less heat and uses less electricity than the full sized oven. I cooked mine for one hour and feel it could have gone another 15 minutes as it never browned and the potatoes tasted almost not done. I am thinking I need to check the accuracy of the thermostat in the small oven. This is the way I made mine, you can Google for many more variations.

2 lbs frozen hash browns
1 can cream of chicken soup
12 oz sour cream
1 diced onion
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese ( I grabbed two handfuls of the cheddar/jack I had on hand)
7 oz can diced green chiles (optional)
bread crumbs (optional) I left them off

Thaw hash browns, mix ingredients together, fill 3 qt (or 9x13) baking dish, bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.

No comments: