Thursday, September 3, 2009

Interesting dressing


Sunday, in addition to the ground beef steaks,baked potatoes and artichoke I was having for dinner, for lunches during the week I wanted to make some chicken to go with the basic bagged salad that was on sale. More than 1/2 the time I would marinade boneless skinless breasts in Italian dressing and ground garlic. Well I had no dressing so I thought I might make up a sauce and stir fry them in the wok. I make sauces from all sorts of stuff and one of the ingredients I wanted to try was some Terra Verde blackberry peach preserves I had in the freezer. I had had some on toast a couple of times and decided it was too tart for my taste. I decided to make it mayonnaise based which I have done several times for grilling but not for stir fry. I also knew I wanted enough liquid for the sauce to also be the salad dressing. Well, when I got done mixing it all up I knew I had a really good salad dressing that may not take the heat very well so I set it aside and cubed the chicken and gave it a dry rub of Garam Masala, salt, pepper and let it sit on the counter for an hour or so then fried it in peanut oil in the cast iron skillet.

It turns out I had enough (about 1-1/4 cups) dressing to use for three salads, one with just over 1/2lb of baked salmon and the other 2 with a cubed chicken breast each. Each on 2/3 of a 12oz bag of salad. I have no clue if I could even recreate the dressing. Here is a list of the ingredients in approximately descending order of volume. The first three items were the bulk of the volume. I noted brands where I think the taste is important. By far the strongest flavor was the preserves which were muted and was what I was trying for. As you can see I just wander around the kitchen tossing stuff in the bowl and then maybe make a second trip to alter the taste.

Mayonnaise (Best Foods)
Ketchup (Muir Glen organic)
Blackberry peach preserves (Terra Verde)
Mustard
Honey
Sesame oil
Orange juice
Lemon juice
Rice vinegar
Sriracha
Paprika
Onion powder
Ground ginger

No comments: