Saturday, December 26, 2009

Meat probe part 2


I ended up paying higher than suggested list price for the probe because it was Sunday and I went to the only place (Barbecues Galore) I could think of that was open and would have exactly what I wanted. Not to mention the fact I had already dry rubbed the meat that morning and it was sitting on the counter coming up to room temperature while I was out looking for the probe. Fire drill anybody? :-)

I ended up cooking the tri-tip at 200° for over 2-1/2 hours. I had it set for 150° and took it out at 145°. I should have pulled it at 140° because sitting on the counter it rose to 156°. Still a very nicely cooked roast that retained most of it's juice in the meat. It used to be steak juice was used for baked potatoes but as you can see on the plate there was very little.

I am definitely happy with the probe. Now I want to get an electric smoker too. :-)



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Scott, this meat looks wonderful.