Sunday, December 6, 2009

Stroganoff


One of my favorite foods. My dad made it from a recipe in the News Press in the early 60s. The whole idea being to be able to use a cheap piece of beef to make something really yummy. I have tried a couple of times over the years to make it from his recipe and failed, returning to the easy way of making it from a season packet and more recently simplifying it further by using the crock pot. I wanted to try it again but the clipping seems to having gotten lost in the divorce. I found a similar recipe on line that also used tomato juice. One thing that helped is I have learned more about using flour and gravies in general. I used two 5.5oz cans of juice instead of 8oz that the recipe called for and the tomato was stronger than I remember. I still had to use a little corn starch towards the end. Overall it was the best stroganoff I have had in years and will never return to using season packets.



No comments: