Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cheese pleese


I buy shredded cheddar/jack in 5lb bags from Costco. Even with the chemicals added to make it not clump so easy I cannot quite use it all before it goes bad. So I divide it and freeze half. Last week I used the last of the first half of the current batch. This morning I was making a ham and cheese omelet and put the eggs and ham in the pan and reached for the cheese. It seems somebody forgot to take the bag out of the freezer. And cheese is one of the few foods that just doesn't thaw well in the microwave. So I had a ham omelet with toast.

3 comments:

Knitterman said...

I used to buy and shred and mix various blocks of cheddar, jack, etc. and pack it into 1/2 cup or 1 cup ZipLock bowls w/lids and they'd last in the freezer. Part of the trick is remembering to move one from freezer to refrigerator when the previous cup is used up. Even when I'd forget to bring out the next one as I finished the prior one, it would only take 1/2 hour to adequately thaw at room temp. You might consider packing into smaller units.

SharpScott said...

I actually did go out and buy a stack of 1-1/2 cup containers and do that for a while. Took up all sorts of space in the freezer. When I found out I could use it all before it went bad by dividing it in half that is what I did. And I know there are chemicals added to make the pre-shredded stuff not clump but no way am I going to take the time to shred blocks of cheese.

Shannon said...

I use frozen shredded cheese and it seems to work out well.