Sunday, June 14, 2009

Fire


So here I am eating breakfast and reading an article in an industry mag and towards the end of my meal I think maybe I smell some smoke. No biggy, I think possibly I didn't get a cigarette fully out in the ashtray and some butts caught on fire. I finish up my bacon, cheesy scrambled eggs and sourdough toast and take my plate in the kitchen and notice the apartment is really smoky as the light filtered in trough the blinds. Nothing smoldering in the ashtray. the smell had a sort of electrical scent to it so I go check to see if there was something wrong with the motor in the air cleaner, nothing wrong there. I go back in the kitchen and happen to glance at the stove. Sure enough there is smoke. Forgetting to turn off the burner the eggs were cooked on is something I probably do once a month, being normally the last item to hit the plate, and isn't that big of a deal. This time the large slabs of sourdough from Arizona bakery didn't work well in the toaster so I used the toaster oven and had set the pot holder off to the side that I had used to get the toast tray out of the oven. The combination of the two created a bit of a fire. It was still smoldering pretty good when I took the pictures. I have (had) two identical pot holders, one has a hole in it created by the original packaging staple and the other was in one piece. Take a guess which one I burned up?






2 comments:

Shannon said...

Very lucky that's all that happened. Wow... thank goodness that happened before you left the apt. for the day.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Im so going to make sure you have a fire extinguisher close by for mishaps like these... oh scott what are we going to do with you. :) -arod