Sunday, August 16, 2009

Fun filled Saturday


And I followed it up by sleeping in until almost 7 this morning. I had a free ticket to the Diamondbacks vs Dodgers game. I was joined by some friends for three innings who went down to try and improve their seats after a while. I happen to like sitting up high where I can see the whole field. With only one eye working well I have poor depth perception so up high works, and these were pretty good seats, on the rail just past 1st base. Instead of paying $12 for parking I opted to park at FEZ and take the light rail down for $3.50 round trip. That was my first trip on the light rail and right off the bat I lost my balance not realizing how much faster electric motors accelerate compared to propane motors on buses. I almost landed on a kid, pulled a muscle in my upper arm and stomped on the toes of the kids dad. One hot dog and one beer totaled $15. The beer was Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen for $10, the option were a bunch of generic lite beers for $9, no contest. But I did bring my own liter of frozen water for .35 instead of $4. They bring in extra rail cars for major events and I was surprised how fast they moved several thousand people out of the Central core after the game, which we won in 10 innings. Getting back to FEZ for a late dinner I found I missed a bit of excitement. The president had dined two doors down at Macayo's and his secret service staff, 20 of them, had gone in to FEZ for drinks and appetizers.

And for dinner? FEZ has a monthly $5 special that you can find on Facebook or their website but doesn't show on the menu. This month is a Turkey burger: "Hand made Turkey Burgers, grilled, topped with field greens, roma tomatoes, provolone cheese and a roasted red bell pepper, olive tapenade, on whole wheat ciabatta; served with a field green salad with lemon basil vinaigrette. FIVE BUCKS!" It was delicious and not heavy on my stomach like a beef burger would have been that late. Their burgers normally go for $10.95 so that was quite a deal. I ordered a glass of Sam Adams summer ale and got the last 1/2 glass in the last keg. They gave me a full glass of Boston lager also but I don't really care for it as much. By the time I got home at 11 I was beat.

While I was at FEZ Thomas, the GM, filled me in on some details of Rickie's, his SO, upcoming fashion show at The Devils Martini. I am not into high fashion and I am not going but it should be a good show with Thomas doing the emcee and Intuit providing the music.

Not bad for a budget night out. I cannot wait until the economy picks back up so I do not have to watch every penny. Of course then I won't have time for an outing like that.

No comments: