Thursday, August 27, 2009

A new toy


My phone would no longer show charge complete no matter how long I left it connected. And I had to charge it every two days instead of 3-4. I could search around and come up with a battery for $15-20 or I could get a new phone for free, the latest iteration of the last two phones which have served me well. Two things lacking in the old phone. Texting with a numeric pad sucks and I had no ability to edit texts or notepad entries. So I looked at a few phones with some extra features. The notepad thing is more important than it sounds. I have kept a pad of paper in the apartment with a separate page for each of the normal places I shop. That works fine if I remember I am going shopping one of those places on the way home and put the list in my pocket on the way out the door in the morning. As often as not I would not pick up the list and get to the store and forget something. Now I can keep running lists for each of those stores. It's not like a synced PDA or a smart phone but it does what I need it to. I found out real quick how much faster I can text even with those itty bitty keys. And if I do make an error I can fix it without erasing all the way back. And of course sound clarity and battery technology have improved in the last three years. What I got was an LG enV3, cost $29.95. It fits in my existing holster and I hardly ever used my car charger on the last two phones so I got out of there with no accessories as I had recently purchased a Jawbone II to upgrade my headset. It is going to take a bit of time to learn all the things it can do and I haven't even thought about going on line with it yet.

No comments: