Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor day weekend


Eating out - I had a soso barbecue sandwich Thursday evening at Thee Pitts Again on my way to Costco. Friday's lunch took me to Salvadoreno's where I had onion chicken that was really good. Many of the Salvadoran foods have similar descriptions to Mexican foods but are different in many ways. If you get a chance they should be tried. Sunday I had lunch at the Miracle Mile Deli at Arrowhead Towne Center. Really good corned beef, soso potato salad. All of those places I have written Yelp reviews so if you are interested you can follow the link on the left.

Cooking - for the second week in a row I got a salmon fillet and baked it. This time it was a wild caught fillet that because it was on sale was actually less expensive than the farm raised variety. I used the leftover to make salmon salad goop for sandwiches. I did a tri-tip on the electric grill Sunday night. Somehow I got it medium well instead of medium and I cannot figure out how to make meat less cooked afterward. And last night I pan fried a couple of ground beef patties. So I have leftovers for lunches this week. I had a double serving of Spam on Saturday and a double serving of bacon on Sunday. Having run out of sliced ham a couple of weeks ago I now have no more processed pork in the apt.. No, I am not going vegetarian. Just getting rid of those things that I really like the taste of but my body doesn't like digesting. I have also just about burned up my supply of red meat and will try to not eat any late in the evening where it can keep me up at night. It won't help my cholesterol any because chicken has as much as beef.

The biggest change from the norm for me was I actually took Sunday off. Slept in until almost 6, got up and had a leisurely breakfast, then started deep cleaning the apt.. I really didn't get the whole place done but I got the bathroom, vanity, and kitchen along with all the floors. Looking at some paperwork I found cleaning I had not cleared the shit lip in over 3 years so it was definitely time. Midday I took a break and went to the mall. I had lunch and then wandered around. Went in to Dick's which wasn't open the last time I was there (June 08) looking for unpadded bike shorts and not only was everything padded for road bike wear the prices were really high. I'll go to the Sports Authority when I have time and look there. I had a gift card that was almost a year old for Penney's and after wandering around I bought some boxers. I stopped at Yankee Candle and picked up a couple of Pumpkin Spice jar candles. And in general cruised the mall. For a Labor day weekend it wasn't very crowded and I only parked a few steps from the door. I spent the afternoon resuming my cleaning and keeping track of the Diamondbacks losing to the Rockies. A very easy going day.

And the highlight of my day Sunday came just before I started cooking my dinner. My son called and we chatted for about an hour. First time he has done anything other than texting in over 6 months.

No comments: