Monday, May 3, 2010

Rotten beef


Have you ever accomplished what you set out to do and realized you didn't like the finished product? A few months back I attended a dinner with several Yelpers at Murphys (A German restaurant in downtown Glendale). Chrissy and I both remarked afterward that steak knife tender was a little tough for the saurbratten we had each ordered. While I like a tender piece of roast I am not a big fan of sweet stuff at dinner so I decided to opt out of making the cabbage and the gingersnap gravy. I instead made brown gravy from Better than Bullion and served mashed potatoes rather than potato dumplings. I set out to prove I could make it more tender than the restaurant. I happened to use tri-tip because that is what I had and other than the gristly parts I did indeed make a melt in your mouth roast. The cooking method I used was on an open rack in the oven at 200° until it was 140° in the middle. The disappointment was that even with normal gravy on it to temper it I did not like the taste of the meat from the marinade. So now to search for a marinade recipe I like.

1 comment:

BartholomewOobleck said...

I've made sauerbraten at home before and it is a unique marinade of vinegar, juniper berries and pickling spices. This marinade requires at least three days to do its magic (hence the "sour roast" or sauer braten). I've used Alton Brown's recipe from Food Network's web site with great results.