Sunday, August 5, 2012

Dry Rubs


A friend asked me how I put together a dry rub.  For many years I used a dry rub from Susie Q in Santa Maria.  At one point a few years ago I was about out and wondered if I could just make the stuff.  So I looked at the label and figured it could not be too hard.  One thing I have figured out is there is really no right or wrong mixture of ingredients.  Just adjust to your taste.  In the picture are several ingredients that I only use from time to time to adjust the flavor.  Also is the bowl I use to mix it and the re-purposed jar I use to store it and apply it from.  What I am going to list is my standard base.  Remember that this is my choice of amounts and as I don't measure much of anything it is approximate.  Also you will note I am not using Penzey quality stuff and I doubt most of the store bought rubs do either.

4 parts ground garlic
4 parts salt
2 parts black pepper
This is where I stop when cooking salmon, trout, swordfish, etc

For other meats I will most often add
4 parts sugar
1 part paprika or chili powder (sometimes both)
1 part Italian spice or basil
This becomes my base mixture and all the other options you see are added usually in one part increments depending on my mood.



No comments: