Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cooking weekend


I was seriously running out of stuff to take for lunches and snack on the the evenings. So it seems like all I did was cook. I made a fresh batch of hummus, from dried beans of course. This morning I made creamed chipped beef which leaves two additional servings after what I had on toast. Before I left for work I put a batch of pinto beans and onions in the crockpot, that should yield about 5 meals and it freezes well. And for dinner last night I had a version of pulled chicken. I may yet also make a pan of cornbread tonight.

Simple pulled chicken

I took two boneless, skinless breast and nuked them for ten minutes. This technically cooks the meat but I sure wouldn't serve it to anybody like this, it is sort of dry and tasteless. However it does yield quickly cooked meat that can be used in recipes. While it was cooling I diced up and onion and tossed it in the wok with some butter. about the time the onion was done I cut the chicken crossways about 3/4" and ripped it apart from there. I added the chicken to the onions along with some ground garlic, salt and pepper. I poured in some bbq sauce, I happened to have an open bottle of Bill Johnsons, got it all hot and set it off on a low burner for an hour and a half for the flavors to mix and served it over rice. If I had had a bell pepper I would have tossed it in with the onion but I had not thought that well in advance.



No comments: