Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Bill Johnson's Big Apple


7322 W. Bell Rd., Glendale

I have been going to several locations for years for breakfast, I love their chicken fried steak. Last night was my first time for dinner.

I was seated quickly. Server showed up within 3 minutes to take my order. I had my salad about three minutes after that and my burger showed up within 5 minutes of finishing the salad. I would rate that level of service quite good. Restaurant was about 1/3 full on a Tuesday 6-7PM with 2 servers waiting on 8-10 tables. Customers covered all age groups and several tables had 3 generations at them. Because of the many seniors that go in there this location no longer has wood shavings on the floor.

I got the "End of the Trail" burger ($7.79) and it came with a choice of sides (fries, beans, cole slaw....). I chose a salad, I like not having to add a pile of fries to an already big burger. The burger was really good save for a bit too much salt and the meat was med-well instead of medium. Still had stuff running down my arm before I was done. The bun was toasted, which I like. This is one of those huge burgers that is held with two hands (it came with 1/2lb meat, tomatoes, lettuce, purple onion, pickles, grilled onions, bacon, mushrooms, 2 kinds of cheese, bbq sauce)and if you put it down once you start it would most likely fall apart. This is not a place that puts a great deal of emphasis on presentation but for about $2 less than say Red Robin or about $4 less than El Paso for ribs with 2 sides I think it is a good value.

No comments: