Monday, March 2, 2009

Pistachio gelato


Friday night I stopped by Fresh and Easy to pick up a few things. I do not go there often as their way of packaging doesn't suit my lifestyle. However a lot of there branded stuff is low on additives and junk. While I was wandering I went by the freezer section and spotted "pistachio" from across the aisle. I have avoided gelato because I was thinking with water rather than cream being the main ingredient it just could not be that great. This was F&E branded and still 3 something for a pint. The first evening I consumed a whole 1/4 of the pint, the second evening I finished it off. Really good stuff. Comparing it to good ice cream, like McConnells, it still comes up a bit short but it is good in it's own right.

2 comments:

Knitterman said...

hahaha. Pint-size IS the individual single-serving size here in Texas. At least at my house it is.

I can't even remember McConnell's at all. Are they even around any more?

SharpScott said...

McConnell's is still very much around. Jim McCoy still runs it. The parlor has moved from State St. And Mission to De La Vina and Mission. You can find a little more about it on my Yelp review of Sweet Republic.
http://www.yelp.com/user_details_reviews_self?userid=Z128ihQea7BLPh2T9q9sKA&rec_pagestart=10&review_sort=time