Friday, March 13, 2009

Scramble


9832 N. 7th St., Phoenix

This is a fairly new breakfast, brunch, lunch spot in the Sunnyslope neighborhood of Phoenix. I went there on the way to work this morning for breakfast. I actually invited about 30 of my Yelp friends to join me and not one of them was willing to get up at what I consider to be a reasonable hour. Anyway here is my Yelp review:

Usually when the cashier informs you the menu is out of date it means what you wanted to order is no longer available or the price went up. Not so this time, they are still in the mode of adjusting to initial customer comments and the $9 omelet now includes one side AND a bread. That brings the price point in line with what I consider a regular breakfast choice instead of a special occasion breakfast.

None of that would matter if the food wasn't good. I had the western omelet with english muffin and bacon. The bacon is cherry wood smoked and a perfect firm but not crispy. The omelet had ham, peppers and grilled onions. And the muffin came with real butter. I almost forgot to take a picture before I dug in. All of the food and coffee was good.



I got there at 6:01 and was greeted with a smile. She did admit she has to work at being a morning person. I had the entire place to myself until just before I left. My food was out very quickly. Thanks to Donny T's review I remembered to grab my table service before the food arrived. I even found the place headed south without becoming a traffic hazard. Scramble shares the building with Il Posto. At the time of the morning I am about it isn't hard to get there and get to work. Even though it is a ways away I am sure I will find my way back again.

2 comments:

Knitterman said...

wait... you paid $9 for a breakfast and your coffee was in a disposable cup with paper sleeve?? hmmm... but it looks edible.

What's the deal with grabbing table service before the food arrives? Do you have to go fetch it from somewhere else? why wasn't it on the table or brought to your table like in normal restaurants?

And did you really invite human folks to drag out of bed and meet you for breakfast at 6:00 a.m.??? NObody in real life meets other humans for breakfast before 8:00. I know I would be all up and dressed and out the door to meet at that hour. hahahahaha

SharpScott said...

It's not a full service restaurant. Lots of newer places have removed service. You go to the counter and place your order. They hand you a cup for your drink and you go get it along with napkins, silverware, ketchup, whatever. You place your number on a stand at your table and they bring you your food. The drinks in take out cups is actually rather handy as I was able to put a lid on my cup and finish it on the way to work. Whataburger and now Jack in the Box at the low end have a similar minimal service as does Nothing but noodles, Pei Wei and others in the $9-15 entree range.