Saturday, November 7, 2009

Coffee, or lack thereof


So it has been about a month since I stopped drinking coffee. Turned out not to be a big deal.

History - I normally drank 8 8oz cups (4 big coffee mugs) a day. I would not gulp it, but sip on it and run out early to late afternoon. If I went out for breakfast I would have 2-3 cups with breakfast. If I cooked breakfast at home I would consume 1/2 the pot early. Quite a while ago I noticed I would get an upset stomach and get a little light headed if I drank a whole bunch a one time. At least once a day I would go up against a wall and have to stop and take a nap.

Negatives of stopping - For the first couple of weeks, if I had more than three servings of alcohol, I would get splitting headaches starting in the middle of the night and sometimes lasting until noon. I also figured I should look closely at other sources of caffeine. I switched to root beer instead of Dr Pepper when eating lunch out. I don't eat much baked goods anyway and only consume 5 or 6 sodas a month so it hasn't been a big deal. A couple of years ago I had already started getting orange juice instead of coffee when I at breakfast out

Positives of stopping - I sleep better at night. I don't run up against a wall during the day. I actually have more energy in the morning.

The few times I have had chocolate or iced tea (not all of which has caffeine) have not seemed to be a problem. My BM schedule moved from 2-3 hours after waking to about 1 hour. I will need to be careful of what I consume when I am out but I don't go out that often. Overall replacing coffee with water seems to have been a positive move for me.

No comments: