Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009


This year I was invited by friends to go to a block party. Nice group of folks, some of them I had already met. They used the pool table to set out food on. It was 80° for a high so it was perfect for dining on the patio. I had shorts on and even after the sun set did not feel the need for a sweater. The hosting family had parents, grandmother, son and his pregnant wife there so almost 5 generations of one family. Only one sour note: as the hostess was wheeling grandma back to the care home 1/2 mile away some how she fell out of the wheelchair and broke an ankle and a leg. She had surgery yesterday but I don't yet know the final outcome.

The first picture is of Grandma. She is in her 90s and ate like a trooper. Still a pretty good conversationalist too.



These are the two pies that I baked. A pumpkin and an apple. They both came out great. The only other pie I ever baked was an apple 4 or 5 years ago that I burnt heavily.





In addition to the oven baked turkey Manuel and Tom tried a deep fried one. It turned out pretty good but I am not convinced it was worth the $150 it cost.



There were 17 people total of which 4 had already attended another dinner previously. The first shot is mostly set up for the appetizers. We did not make a dent in those and I was no longer hungry by the time it was pushed aside and reset for dinner which is the second picture. The dessert setting filled half the table again.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats funny I gotta see the rest of the pics you took!!! Look at me working ... lol.. -arod

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the design of american food tables, you made me hungry :D

/random Swede