Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tartar sauce


Yesterday I picked up a salmon filet with the thought of pan frying the one pound chunk and eating half for dinner and using the other half in a lunch salad. That part worked fine and I also had some seasoned basmati rice and steamed asparagus. When I got home form the store I realized I had no tartar sauce of any kind and although I had lemon juice I am not a fan of lemon on fish. So I started rummaging around and made my own: 2 big glops of mayonnaise (Best Foods, of course), 2 small glops of dill pickle relish, some seasoned salt and some dry mustard then put it in the fridge for about an hour to let the flavors blend. It turned out better than some jarred varieties I have had. Looking around later I found some recipes that also included lemon juice, capers (both of which I normally have) and some other stuff. I think I would increase the ratio of the dill relish and maybe toss in a splash of lemon juice next time. It is nice to find one more item I can make quickly at home as I need it that doesn't have a bunch of ingredients I cannot pronounce. Also one less item to go bad if I don't use it all quickly enough.

No comments: